What is the best metal detector?
The truth is, there is no universally best metal detector. The right one for you depends on your skill, budget and several other factors. You should be asking yourself what is the best metal detector for my need’s. First decide what kind of detecting you would like to pursuit, whether that being beach, field, river or underwater metal detecting or detecting to suit your budget or skills.
My Number 1 Choice:
Read below for more information on the Garrett AT PRO in my top 10 column:
This article goes through a few key factors, so that you have a better idea of what to look for in your metal detector. This breaks down the factors in easy terms, and gives you an idea of what the detector does for you, and how well it matches your criterion. This will allow you to make the best choice.
If you have been searching high and low for the best metal detector you can get, look no further. This list gives you the best metal detectors of 2019, along with their key features, and why they deserve the title. With a number of choices in the market, your search can get quite confusing, and new features being thrown at you does little to ease your confusion.
Top 10 Best Metal Detectors Reviewed 2019
Based on popular opinions and reviews of customer experiences, this article has brought together ten of the best metal detectors that are absolutely perfect for 2019. This lists out the metal detectors that meet the most popular demands. It also compares the best and worst of its features.
This should help you find the one that’s right for you. Rather than picking the one that tops every list, it would be wiser to carefully go through all the features, and make an informed decision about which one suits your needs the best. This ensures that you don’t spend a good deal of money on a device that you cannot use for any practical purposes. So here’s the best metal detectors of 2019.
Garret AT Gold
Garrett really up’d their game with this model. The AT Gold features an 18 KHZ frequency for conquering great depths as well as being waterproof for up to 10 feet. The AT is also a perfect module for detecting gold nugget’s with its impressive depth target sensitivity. This is an ideal module for land and freshwater hunter’s though isn’t something recommended for saltwater hunting but will work well in dry sand.
- The target ID provides user’s with the specific target value to specify the buried object’s.
- Easy to set up
- It comes with a 5″ x 8″ standard coil which is great for targeting smaller targets like coins and gold.
- The Garrett AT Gold is light in weight, weighing only 3.03 pounds.
- The AT Gold is freshwater water proof and can handle all kind’s of weather and can be used in the range of 10 feet in freshwater..
- Provides users the ability to identify trash item’s with the iron audio, such as bottle caps.
- Good battery life 18kHz battery life: 4 AA batteries 1.5 V-30h
- Comes with a collapse frame which is perfect for traveling.
- Great target depth and items being detected up to 10 inches.
- Comes with headphones
- The price is fair considering how well the module’s features provide
- Not great for saltwater
- Not the best performer on wet sand
- Difficult for newbies as it comes with many control’s
Minelab produces some of the best quality metal detector’s and it’s no surprise the Equinex 600 makes this top 10 list. The Minelab Equinex is an all round metal detector which is perfect for beginner’s and advanced metal detector enthusiast’s by having changeable module’s for simple metal detecting to advanced. It is also adaptable for all ground targets whether that being the beach, field’s or in the forrest. It also comes with fast recovery speed that ensures you won’t miss any valuable target’s amongst trash, trash item’s such as bottle cap’s will be filtered out saving you time and effort. As well as being waterproof for up to 10 feet the module comes with wireless bluetooth headphones making your detecting adventure more enjoyable and peaceful.
- Ideal for beginer’s and advanced
- Water proof up to 10 feet
- Adaptable, Work’s well everywhere
- Comes with wireless headphones that can be set up via bluetooth
- Lightweight, weighing only 3 pound’s
- Gives great performance in all kind’s of weather condition’s
- The device can take a bit of learning to get used too especially if you are new to metal detecting
- The price is slightly high end but the quality and features that come along with it will be worth every penny.
Fisher is another great brand well recognized by the metal detecting community. Here featuring in my top 10 list is the F44 Weatherproof all purpose metal detector. The F44 was released in 2015 and is a high quality detector with control’s such as having 5 search module’s in jewelry, coins, artifacts, custom and all metal. It is also an ideal metal detector for night detecting with its backlight. If you are looking to avoid trash items the F44 will discriminate them out. The F44 is also well weather proof and works well in the rainy conditions though isn’t something ideal for deep water detecting.
- Comes with 5 search modules
- Great for night detecting
- Ground depth ranges from 10 inches
- Whether proof, works well in the rain
- 11 inch search coil
- Target ID, Number 1-99 will tell you if you have located gold, zinc coins, iron, foil, silver, copper and US Nickels
- Lightweight only 2.3 pounds
- Comes with ground balance in all ground conditions
- Not ideal for saltwater
- Doesn’t work well on wet sand
The Garret AT Pro is a great detector that doesn’t take too much time to master and comes with advanced features along the way. What’s great about this metal detector is that it’s such a well rounded detector, most metal detector’s are specific to a certain type of hunting, the AT Pro can be used like a metal detector specifically designed for water hunting, beach hunting, field and forrest hunting. The AT Pro is also fully submersible in water for up to 10 feet and comes with a fast recovery speed which makes it easier to identify trash item’s. With controls including the coin depth calculator which determines the target depth this is ideal for giving you an idea how deep you are going to have to dig to reach your target. It also comes with 15 khz of frequency which is great for small target’s, gold nugget’s and jewelry.
- Great all round metal detector
- Full waterproof and submersible for up to 10 feet
- Lightweight at 3.03 pounds
- Iron Audio
- Digital target ID
- Coin depth indicator
- Fast recovery speed- singles out trash items
- Depths ranging from 8-10 inches
- Lack of backlight screen
- Single Frequency
- Doesn’t include waterproof headphone
DR.ÖTEK Pinpoint Metal Detector
Otek isn’t yet a familiar name among metal detectorists, and certainly isn’t a high end brand as some of the brands mentioned above. Coming much more in the cheaper scale of thing’s I felt that the DR.ÖTEK metal detector deserved a place in my top 10 due to its cheap price and review’s. Scoring an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars the DR.ÖTEK is a great device for beginners and those looking to save some extra cash before moving onto bigger and better devices. The device itself reaches a modest 7 inches deep and comes with a 8 inch search coil. All in the DR.ÖTEK is a great device for beginners and kids.
- It’s high sensitivity and ergonomic non-slip rifle handle is very attractive.
- It can be used to find anything from coins to antique jewelry.
- It’s adjustable wand ensures that you can adjust the height of the device to hold it comfortably.
- Controls allow you to choose the best settings for sensitivity.
- It’s bonus shovel allows you to dig down immediately.
- Wet sand can occasionally result in false readings
- Many users claim that the “Waterproof coil” is not actually Waterproof, and exposing it to water could significantly reduce device life.
Meterk Metal Detector
Meterk is another cheap option buy with raving review’s online, and can be used by beginners, as well as mid-level users. It has great features such as the stem and coil being water resistant though the board is not water proof. You can also configure the detector so it doesn’t respond to some object’s and is extremely easy to navigate and understand the control’s.
- LCD screen, making it more accurate than the pointer. The screen also accurately depicts how deep the metal is.
- Two modes of detection, all metals and disc.
- Isolate targets quickly with its accurate location feature.
- It’s headphone jack ensures that you can hear alerts even in crowded environments, without disturbing others.
- Waterproof search coil allows you to use it in shallow water.
- The device itself isn’t Waterproof, which means that the control housing is prone to damage when in water.
- Battery life isn’t great if you are planning a long metal detecting trip
Garrett ACE 400i Metal Detector
Again another product from Garrett, This high end metal detector is for those who take their metal detection seriously. A bit towards the pricey side, it comes with a number of enviable features, and is often purchased by professionals. The 400i also displays controls like iron audio, digital target ID, and frequency adjust to navigate less trash items. This a perfectly suited device for dry sand and land hunting and has a reported depth of around 8 to 10 inches and weighs only 2.9 pounds.
- Different modes of operation ensures that you find the one best suited to your needs.
- Pinpoint allows for precise localization.
- Visual and audio discrimination, with an LCD screen and multi tone functionality.
- Rod tightening rings to prevent the loosening up of rods over time.
- Price is on the higher end of the spectrum, but Garrett is a name that is undoubtedly worth it.
- It takes quite a while to get the discrimination right, and signals might occasionally waver.
- Steep learning curve makes it challenging for absolute beginners
MARNUR Metal Detector
Another metal detector on the cheap spectrum of things the Marnur has good reviews online and comes with an easy set up. Available in a kit, Marnur’s Adjustable Metal detector is ideal for for beginners. Reaching depths of 8 inches the Marnur is fair a metal detector for its price and features. It is great for relics and coins, claiming to create a close tie between you, and the treasures hidden underground.
- Sensible search coil that gives accurate results is a main feature of the device.
- It’s large clear display makes it suited for outdoor applications.
- Adjustable height and humanized design makes it an absolute pleasure to use.
- Completely waterproof and easy to set up.
- It cannot be used underwater, and is also sensitive to harsh temperature which users report to be quite difficult.
- Height isn’t adjustable so not suitable for small children
The Garrett Ace 150
Are getting tired of me mentioning Garrett? Sorry here we go again….. but in my opinion the brand deserves this amount of credibility. This time we are featuring the cheap Garrett module 150. One of the most popular metal detectors, it is a perfect blend of the right features, and is the best metal detector for beginners with its simple features and quality on top of that. It also comes with a DVD on how the device is used as well as headphones for those that like to detect in peace. It’s has even been known that this device was able to unearth a hoard of Roman treasure in England.
- Good depth and Great performance, making it possible for everyday metal detection in the garden or indoors, to metal detecting for relics.
- Touch and go operation makes it easy to use.
- Sensitivity can be adjusted according to your needs.
- Speaker and headphone sockets allow you to stay focused in busy environments.
- Depth of 6 to 8 inches
- Not the best device for kid’s, even though as it’s a quality beginner’s device it can still be confusing for children.
- Has a steep learning curve to figure out the sensitivity settings that work.
- Isn’t water proof
This dual purpose device can detect anything. Its versatile nature makes it a very good fit for your metal detection activities and is an another great product for identifying trash item’s. It also comes with a great battery life and is light in weight at only 2.8 pounds. The device is also designed for quick assembly and efficient mobility and performs efficiently on four double AA batteries. The X-Terra also features impressive depths of around 10-14 inches reported by other users. This is an ideal device for beach and river hunting.
- VFLEX technology ensures that the sensitivity can be changed by changing its coils.
- Ground balance adjustment is manual, giving you enough control over settings to suit a variety of needs.
- Compatible with all X-TERRA coils.
- Good battery life
- Good depth control
- Not suited for beginners.
- Control setting take time to master.
- Batteries and headphone’s don’t come with the kit.
These are my top 10 best metal detectors in the market. Before you buy one, make sure it fits all your requirements, and meets your budget. Happy treasure hunting!
Factors You Should Consider When Choosing A Metal Detector.
It is all well and good if you have experience in metal detecting, but if you are pursuing it in search of a new hobby, or are a new entry to this field, it could get very frustrating to deal with a complicated device that you can’t make head and tail of. Conversely if you are experienced in the metal detection domain, you will want a device that has more features than an entry level one. Make sure you have assessed your skills, and related needs. Ensure that the device caters to most of your requirements, and remember that this is a long term investment.
This is a key factor to keep in mind while shopping for the best metal detector for you. Most new hobbyists do not spend a lot on their first detector. A reasonable amount in the $150 to $300 range is enough to get you machines that can get you hooked on the hobby. More experienced detectorists might need devices that are a bit on the higher range, but even they do not have to spend unreasonable amounts. Set your budget in advance, so that you can stick to it while shopping. This allows you to choose features with care making sure that you prioritize the ones that fit your budget.
Ease of Use
Ease of use is very important, especially for newbies. Buying a device and not being able to get it to work is something all of us have faced at one point or the other. Now imagine spending a lot of money on a device only to realize that you have absolutely no idea how to get it to work. This is why it is important to get a device that can be easily set up, and used.
Based on the kind of detection you intend to do, depth of the metal detector is an important feature. The depth required for professional metal detectorists is not the same as that used by amateurs for common hobby practices, like Coin detections. In addition to this, the depth of the metal detector plays an important role in the budget constraint as well, as both are directly linked. Detectors with smaller depths come for a lower price, and are quite easily available, when compared to those that have a better reach. This makes it an important factor to consider.
Based on how sensitive the metal detector is, it can be used for a wide variety of purposes. This makes it an essential factor to consider, as it could make all the difference between a professional, and a hobbyist.
Ensuring that the product is sure to last is very important. If one does not make sure of this, you could end up with a product that has very poor life, which is an absolute waste of your money. In addition, detection in rough terrains would imply that a single misstep could ruin your device, which takes all the fun out of metal detection.
Make sure that the battery life is long enough to use continuously for a reasonable amount of time, on a metal detection journey.
Frequently asked questions
Are all metal detectors waterproof?
No not all metal detectors in this list are waterproof but the vast have waterproof coils. If you are looking for a metal detector for deep river hunting you need to check the features of the device first. The Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold can be submerged into 10 feet of water as well as the Minelab Equinex 600.
Where can I go metal detecting ?
You can go just about anywhere metal detecting. Some devices are made to a certain type of detecting while others are designed for one location. I like to go for a device that has a lot of variables and can work well for all kinds of areas. The Minelab Equinex 600 is a great metal detector that can be used just about anywhere.
What is the best metal detector for gold?
There are many great detectors that can find gold and some better than others. The Garret AT Pro and Garrett AT Gold have been known as great metal detectors in terms of gold hunting.
Can I go metal detecting in the night?
Metal detecting in the night is always going to be more difficult than it is in the day. It can become more easier to miss small objects. It will also be more difficult to pinpoint them than it is in the day. Thats not to take away that night hunting is impossible. Many people still do it. The Fisher F44 is an ideal module with it strong backlight.
Do I need a permission to go metal detecting?
The majority of places you will not need permission to go metal detecting but in other instances you will. Public beaches are always the safest way to go. Most fields are owned by farmers or local councils so you will need to first simply ask them. Any areas that are defined as Scheduled Monuments., Sites of Special Scientific Interest or military crash sites, and those involving human remains are not allowed. More information can be found on my up and coming blog Metal Detecting Rules.